Our favorite way to eat beets and squash!
2 lb butternut squash
1.5 lb beets
2 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, pressed
6 T olive oil (or 4 T olive oil and 2 T sesame oil)
3 T chopped walnuts, toasted
2 T chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, sage, etc.) — optional
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Scrub the beets (but do not peel) and place in a baking dish. Add about ¼ inch of water and cover tightly. Bake 35-40 minutes until the beets are tender. Let cool.
- Peel the squash and cut into ½ inch thick slices. Toss with 1 T of the olive oil and salt to taste. Place on baking sheets one layer thick. Roast for 20-30 minutes, turning halfway through, until lightly browned and tender. You can do this at the same time as you roast the beets. Let cool.
- Mix together the vinegars, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, trim the ends, slip off their skins (with your hands) and slice into half moon shapes.
- Toss beets, squash and salad dressing in a bowl. Sprinkle on toasted walnuts and fresh herbs. Serve.