It’s a good thing we like eggs, because we love raising chickens. There are lots of ways to eat eggs, and we often have a simple scrambled or fried egg for breakfast or lunch. The recipes below are for a few of the more interesting ways we use fresh eggs from our chickens.
1. Huevos rancheros
There are lots of ways to make huevos rancheros. This is a simple and easy one we like.
Cheese, grated (we like cheddar)
- Warm tortillas in a lightly greased pan for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Cook eggs so they’re over easy.
- Warm salsa in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Layer all ingredients, starting with the tortillas, and enjoy.
2. Homemade mayonnaise
If you have a food processor, making mayonnaise is really easy! And it’s so much better than what you get at the store. This recipe is from one of our favorite cookbooks: The New Best Recipe.
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups canola oil
- Pulse egg, salt, mustard, lemon juice and vinegar three or four times in a food processor.
- With the machine running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream through the feed tube until incorporated completely.
3. Eggs benedict
We don’t eat it very often, but when we do we love it! We often have eggs benedict on Christmas morning.
3 egg yolks
2 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of cayenne
1 stick butter
- The timing is important because everything is better warm. This goes pretty quick.
- Toast english muffins.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Cook poached eggs: Fill a wide pan or skillet with around 2 inches of water and add a splash vinegar. Heat to a low simmer. Crack the eggs into the pan, giving them plenty of space from each other. Gently pour some hot water over the top of each egg. Cook at a gentle simmer until the white part of the eggs no longer jiggles when agitated.
- While the eggs are cooking, make the hollandaise sauce. Blend three egg yolks (separate from the whites) with lemon juice, salt and cayenne. With the blender running, pour the butter slowly into the egg mixture.
- Place poached eggs on english muffins and pour hollandaise sauce over the top.