This soup is delicious, easy to make (though you have to get started early) and goes great with cornbread.
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 pint or 1 large can crushed tomatoes (or chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1 T cumin
- 1 oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 dash cayenne powder (optional)
- 2.5 cups dry black beans
- 8 cups water
- Saute onion in oil.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer 15 minutes to blend
- Add beans and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2.5-3 hours until beans are soft.