Try this airy, eggy, cheesy soufflé. It’s beautiful right out of the oven and not hard to make.
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- Salt, pepper and herbs (rosemary, sage or thyme)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour. Blend in milk gradually, stirring with a whisk until it thickens over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add, one at a time, the eggs yolks, beating after each.
- Fold in the cheese, salt and herbs. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- With a rubber scraper, fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into the yolks, using a smooth under-and-over motion, turning the pot as you go. When the mixture is uniformly spongy, fold in the remaining whites in the same manner. Leave some bits of white fluff.
- Pour into a buttered quart casserole dish. Run a fingertip around the inside edge.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the over at 375 degrees F for about 35 minutes. Don’t open the oven while it is cooking.
- Serve immediately.