Such a deeply satisfying and comforting soup.
- 2-2.5 lb chicken thighs and drumsticks, or any chicken parts on the bones
- 1.3 lb potatoes
- 1.5 cups barley (or rice is good too)
- .5 lb carrots
- .5 lb onions
- Herbs, fresh or dried: oregano, sage, thyme, tarragon, others of your choice
- Salt and pepper
- Boil chicken parts in water until you can easily get the chicken off the bones.
- Take chicken out of the water. Do not dump out the cooking water. Let the chicken cool until you can comfortably remove the meat from the bones and chop it into smallish pieces.
- Chop all veggies.
- Add all ingredients to the water you cooked the chicken in and cook until barley is soft.