We love this coleslaw recipe that Andy developed. It serves 4-6.
- 3/4 lb (4 cups) cabbage chopped into 1-inch squares (or whatever size you like) You can also use the slicer or shredder blade on a food processor for thinner strings of cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 of an apple, diced
- 1 pickle, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup mayo (for a lighter dressing, substitute half of the mayo with yogurt)
- 1/4 cup ranch or Italian dressing
- 1 T lemon or lime juice
- 1-2 T mustard
- Hot sauce to taste (a small squirt gives it a nice zing without being spicy)
- Salt, pepper and Old Bay to taste
- Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- You can adjust all the seasoning and sauce ingredients to your tastes. You could try adding other fresh or pickled veggies, like peppers or dilly beans. When I make coleslaw for fish tacos, I use less mayo and more yogurt and a bit more lemon/lime juice.
- If possible, let sit in refrigerator for an hour or two for flavors to blend.