This recipe for Golden Northern Cornbread comes from The New Best Recipe.
- 2 T unsalted butter, melted (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk
- Adjust an oven rack to the center position and heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch square pan, pie plate or cast iron frying pan with butter.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar (if using maple syrup, add with wet ingredients) in a large bowl. Push the dry ingredients up the sides of the bowl to make a well.
- Crack the eggs into the well and stir lightly with a wooden spoon. Add yogurt and milk.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until almost combined. Add melted butter and continue to stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for around 25 minutes, or until the top of the cornbread is golden brown and slightly cracked and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool for five minutes in the pan. Cut cornbread and serve warm (it can also be reheated).