A great recipe for those not sure what to do with a bulb of fennel!
- 1.5 medium bulbs fennel, fronds reserved
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- .5 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- .5 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat oven to 475°. Remove tough outer layer of fennel. Halve bulbs lengthwise and cut into 1⁄2″ wedges.
- Combine fennel, milk, and 1 tbsp. butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is just tender, 30–45 minutes. Add fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer fennel to al baking dish; pour .5 cup of the milk mixture over fennel. Sprinkle with Parmesan, dot with remaining butter, and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with some of the fronds.