We love this recipe from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything. We’ve altered it somewhat
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 T butter (approx. amount)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup corn (we usually use frozen corn)
- 2 cups fish or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half or more milk
- 2 cups chunked haddock (or another white fish)
- Sauté the onions, potatoes and thyme in butter until the onions softens, around 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and corn.
- Cook until potatoes are tender, around 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the milk and cream.
- Add the fish and bring barely to a simmer over low heat, making sure the soup does not boil.
- Simmer for around 5 minutes until fish is opaque.