Every year we look forward to fresh garden gazpacho (or salsa soup as we describe it to the kids). This cold soup is perfect for August.
This recipe originally came from The New Best Recipe. We’ve altered it slightly. It makes quite a bit of soup, great for leftovers.
- 3 medium tomatoes (1.5 lb)
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 small cucumbers (1 lb)
- Half of an onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- Ground black pepper
- 5 cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 8 ice cubes
- Extra-virgin olive oil for serving
- Dice all the vegetables into approx. 1/4 inch cubes.
- Combine tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions, garlic, salt, vinegar and black pepper (to taste) in a large bowl. Let stand around five minutes.
- Add the tomato juice, hot sauce and ice cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate at least four hours. This soup is really better the day after you make it.
- Adjust the salt and pepperand serve cold, drizzling each portion with about one teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil.