This recipe is altered from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything. It’s a delicious side dish!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 T butter or olive oil
- Freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese
- Black pepper
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- Combine milk, water and a large pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil.
- Add cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking all the while.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer, whisking frequently, until thick, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the butter, cheese and/or fresh herbs if you’re using them. Taste. Add black pepper and salt if necessary.
- If you put in fresh herbs, blend with an immersion blender at the end.