Smoked gouda sweet potato latkes
So delicious! And they make great leftovers. The recipe is altered a bit from one found in the cookbook: Pancakes: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack by Adriana Adarme.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup smoked gouda, grated
- Peanut oil for frying
- Coarsely grate the sweet potatoes by hand or with a food processor. Transfer grated sweet potatoes to a bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and let stand for five minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
- Add the onion, flour, eggs, 3/4 tsp salt, pepper and smoked gouda. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add around 1/2 inch (or less) of peanut oil or other oil. Once the oil is hot, place around 1/4 cup of the sweet potato mixture into the pan, flattening with a spatula. Cook on the first side for a minute or two until golden brown. Flip and cook on the opposite side for another minute. Transfer to a plate or dish lined with paper towels and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- These are great served with applesauce, yogurt and/or sour cream.