We love this soup! There are some unusual ingredients, but don’t let that stop you from trying it. The sweet and sour combo is delicious. This recipe is adapted from Nava Atlas’ cookbook Vegetarian Soups for all Seasons.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 12-16 oz sausage
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water or stock
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 medium apples, diced
- 2 cups sauerkraut (any of our krauts are great in this!)
- 2 cups canned diced or crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry white beans (or a 16-ounce can)
- 2 T sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook dry beans in water until soft.
- Cook onion, carrots and sausage in olive oil. Cut sausage into bite-sized chunks.
- Add the water or stock and potatoes. Bring to a rapid simmer then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Add the apples, sauerkraut, tomatoes, seasonings and cooked beans. Simmer for another 15 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Add sugar in small amounts to balance the tartness of the sauerkraut. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or so (this soup is great the next day.