We love waffles! This great recipe (slightly altered) is from The New Best Recipe. This makes enough for our family of four plus a few to stick in the freezer for later.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 T cornmeal
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 1/8 cup whole milk
- 6 T butter, melted
- Heat a waffle iron.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the yogurt, milk and melted butter.
- Beat the egg whites until they just hold a 2-inch peak.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry in a thin, steady stream while mixing gently.
- Gently fold the egg white into the batter. Do not over-mix.
- Scoop an appropriate amount of batter into your waffle iron and cook.
- We love to eat them with canned peaches, applesauce, warmed up strawberries from the freezer, yogurt, peanut butter and maple syrup.